Monday, April 11, 2011

Day 1


I was pretty nervous for my first day since I was unsure whether I already got the internship or I still had to go through an interview. I felt I got in too easy since I just submitted my portfolio, resume and endorsement via email. I was waiting for the tough part since my block mates told me that not a lot got into DM9 JaymeSyfu.
I was also pretty nervous about what I was wearing. I didn’t know if I would wear something formal or casual, afraid of standing out for the wrong reasons. I decided to wear my trusty striped polo with dark rinse jeans with closed shoes. I thought the get-up was pretty safe since it would blend in whether the office had a formal or casual dress code. 



On the way up, a guy who I assumed was an intern as well seeing he looked pretty young to be working already rode the cart with me. I was right, he was an intern and his name was Kevin. I would later find out that there are two Kevins in our batch of interns. 

When I got there, about 6 other interns were already waiting the lounge. I was pretty nervous since about 4 or 5 of them knew each other leaving me isolated. I sat down with another girl who was alone however another girl came in who apparently was from the same school as the girl I sat with. So I ended up alone again.
After almost an hour of waiting for all the interns to come in (we were 10 all in all), Ms. Judy led us to the Lion’s Conference room. She oriented us about the dos and don’ts of the internship and later on gave us a tour of the quirky, fun and bright office. We also introduced ourselves one by one as we sat round the large table. Our seating arrangement would be our permanent seats for the rest of the internship which none of us intentionally decided on. 

After everyone got divided into two groups, accounts and creatives, we settled in our tables which would be our spot for the duration of the internship. I was placed into accounts which was a big downer since I always saw myself in the creative side. But I just thought that this would be a great learning experience since I never actually tried to do accounts work in school. 

Later in the afternoon, we were assigned our Accounts Executive who would be our direct supervisors and who would be giving us tasks to do. I was assigned to Ms. Junette. 

Even later in the afternoon, the creatives side was already loaded with stuff to do whereas us in the accounts side basically did nothing the whole day. That being said, the accounts people (to our delight) were given a share of their load which was to create spiels for the different DJ’s of different stations for Smart’s Let’s make life extraordinary campaign. Each DJ would have 5 spiels, one for each day of the week . Three interns would be doing the same thing but only one will be chosen by the Art Director to be aired on the station from where the DJ resides. It sounds pretty simple but the challenge is that we had to write it in a way that would sound like the DJ actually thought of writing it herself/ himself. So we had to know the DJ’s we were writing for which unfortunately wasn’t true in my case! I was assigned to DJ Jada whom I have never heard of. I didn’t finish the task that day. I decided to continue the task at home since the deadline was still tomorrow afternoon. I left the office at around 8pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment